Valentines Day Is For More Than Just Lovers

Friday, February 7, 2014

This is the day we have all been waiting for, praise the lord that it is Friday. I don't know about you but I have been *totally* counting down the days until this glorious day! It's a blustery cold Friday with a touch of can't I just stay in bed? It was a struggle bus to get out of bed this morning to get some stuff done (no worries though, technically I just moved to the couch....with a fuzzy blanket so my life's not too shabby). Until I have to leave the sofa (but that's not happening for a while...I hope)

Anyways, I don't know if you know this but apparently Valentines day is next Friday.....(I mean how can you avoid all of the jewelry commercials, chocolate stands, and cards). To me this is a wonderful holiday but not for the cards, the candy and the over priced meals. You see Valentines day is for more than just lovers. I mean honestly the amount of poor single people on Valentines day going all scrooge on Valentines day don't know how good they actually have it. *don't roll your eyes at me single people* (your poor attitude for this post isn't doing you any good). 

So, sure it's wonderful to have a person to cuddle with on valentines day and have them take you out for some outrageously overpriced meal with most likely over cooked food (because they're cooking it at super speed pace). But there is so much more to this day than just having a cuddle person or a person to say oh hey you're cute will you be with me today so I don't have to be alone and feel pathetic because all of these other "happy" couples are out doing cute things with themselves. (can you tell I don't like the whole TAKE ME OUT TO DINNER AND BUY ME ALL THE THINGS idea of valentines day??) So now you're probably wondering why I like Valentines day so much after that lovely kind of pessimistic explanation of how I see "normal" valentines day. Well hold your seats kiddos because you're about to find out! 

Valentines day to me is about so much more than gifts and flowers and chocolates it's about spending time with the people that I love and care about (significant other or not I have many people in my life that I love and care for). I feel like your friends can be your valentines because they too are a significant part of your life and you love them and you care for them. Okay, let's get something clear though it is nice to get chocolate and flowers because I am a girl and those things make me have all the happy feels. But there is so much more to this day than the above. It's about showing your love for someone or showing them you care (and that is shown in various different ways by different people and different relationships). Last year my best friend sent me an alarm clock because I wasn't waking up on time, my bestie Rachael and I are getting best friend bracelets, my mom and I usually exchange cards and a gift (usually chocolate...yum), last year I spent the day with Netflix and a nice meal that I got for myself because I loved me and I deserved it. Valentines day is about showing the people you love and that you care for that you love them and care for them.

I am not going to lie I have a whole little thing planned out for my bear this valentines day, but they are all things that he loves and things that show that I know him and that he is important to me. For Valentines day night we are not going out, we are not spending a ton of money we are sitting down in our lounge clothes and watching the new House of Cards season while eating Chinese food. It's what we wanted to do and it makes it so that we don't have to have the stress of reservations, crazy over priced meals and feeling stressed out that one of us is doing Valentines day wrong. Plus I really like yoga pants and a sweatshirts and that's exactly what I am going to wear.

Valentines day should be a stress free holiday while you spend time with the people you love and care about. So if you're single and on the I am all alone train and no one is with me train, realize that you have people that you love and care about and go spend time with them, because sitting around moping that you're single is not doing you any good. Or if you'd rather sit at home then spoil yourself because you love you.

What do you have planned for Valentines Day??



1 comment:

  1. Even though I'm single, I love Valentine's day! I'm going to spend it with my friends and have a wonderful day.
    Hugs to you and bear!

    ReplyDelete