I don't care...I love it

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

When I was in middle school and high school I wanted everyone to like me and I wanted people to think I was "cool" (I look back and think...what even does that mean) When I was 15 People's opinons of me weighed in a lot especially when it came to my life, my likes, and my interests. I didn't want to be seen as lame, weird, or stupid. I wanted everyone to like me, and I thought there was something wrong with me if someone didn't like me. I'd ask myself "what's wrong with me" "what did I do?" and so on.

The answer was simple..there was nothing wrong with me and I did nothing wrong. 
I was punishing myself for being me. I was changing my likes and dislikes because someone told me that they didn't like them. 


Luckily I am no longer 15 and caring what everyone thought. 


I truly stopped caring what people thought when I started college. I think I started to actually fall in love with myself (cliche I know but it is very true). I never understood what someone meant when they said you have to love yourself before someone can love you. 
But my second semester of college it dawned on me, it doesn't matter if someone doesn't like me because for one, not everyone is going to like me...that's just life. Just like I can't like everybody. And second, their opinions of me in the end don't matter.  At the end of the day it's me, myself, and I. No one else's opinions follow me home and the people themselves don't follow me home. 

I also realized that we are all a little weird and awkward. And if you make yourself out to not be weird or awkward you are just lying to yourself and to other people (but most importantly to yourself).

I embrace my weirdness and awkwardness, and if someone doesn't like it then oh well. They obviously were not meant to be in my life. 

I finally said I don't care to what people thought and I started living my life for me. Talk about a weight lifted off of my shoulders. 

I notice that I no longer care if someone thinks I am weird because they are probably a little weird too! 

"You will open your eyes and see yourself for who you are. Especially for everything that made you so different from all the awful normals"

Keep Calm and Carry On!
xoxo
Melissa


1 comment:

  1. Self love is incredibly important to me and it's a constant journey I'm on with myself.
    So excited to grab coffee with you tomorrow!
    xo Rachael

    ReplyDelete